Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Pentax Pinhole Project

A guy I worked with recently gave me a couple of cameras. One was an old Kodak Instamatic and the other was a newer Pentax. The Instamatic is beautiful and came with some flash bulbs and the box. Now I've just gotta search around for some film. As for the Pentax, it's one of those full auto everything with zoom options type of cameras. Nice for snap shots I guess. Not really anything that I would want to use on a regular basis. So I grabbed a screwdriver and started to dismantle the camera in order to turn it into a pinhole camera. It's been an amazing process. This camera had so much electric wiring and circuit boards stuffed into it. It's been really interesting seeing how the camera worked.

It's also interesting just how many tiny little screws were olding this thing together.

Check out that interesting shutter shape.

And look at all those little gears! It's all part of the film advance system. Which also proved to be the first big hurdle for me. Since this camera was auto everything, including the film advance, I had to figure out a way to manually advance the film once it's officially a pinhole. It took some drilling, cutting, and grinding but I think I came up with something that will work. I've got a lot of work to do on this project yet, but it's coming along nicely. And of course I'll post updates as they happen.

No comments: