Friday, March 26, 2010

Solargraphy Project Update

Back in December of '09, I started my first attempt at solargraphy. When it comes to a project like this, you have to be patient. No instant gratification here. I have told the story here of how I made two cameras out of coffee cans for this project. If you've missed it, here's a link to it. For three months my two cameras took a beating. A couple of big snowstorms, record rain storm, and the ever changing temperatures. Just take a look at this picture taken during one of the snowstorms.

Since I had hit the three month mark since I put up the cameras, I figured it was time to take one down. By looking at it you can tell it's been through alot.

The photopaper inside the can was still light sensitive, so I made sure the lights were low in the house and had the scanner all set up and ready to go. I peeled all the tape off, pulled the paper out and got a glimpse of my first solargraph. It was a little hard to see, very faint on the paper. But there was an image. A quick scan, a little clean up and fiddling about in the photoshop and here's the final result:
Solargraphy 1
I'm really pleased with how well it came out. I'm leaving the other camera up for another three months, so that one will be a six month exposure when all is said and done. This is a fun project and I plan on making more solargraphs.

No comments: