Saturday, October 25, 2008

First camera

My first... Way back, late in the year of 1988, I was just starting my fanzine making days. Did a few interviews but had no photos to go with them. A friend offered to take photos for me, but I wasn't into the results from that. So, early in 1989 I made my way to a local department store and purchased the little camera in the photo above. I got this little automatic for a couple of reasons. One was the size. Small enough to fit in my pocket and to keep it out of trouble when kids started going bonkers around me at shows. The other reason for an automatic was that I knew next to nothing about photography. So I needed something simple to get me started. The first show I took this too was No For An Answer, Hard Stance, Head First, and a couple of others down in a hall in San Diego, CA. A fucking great show. I did my best with my little camera, not really knowing what I was doing or how the images would turn out. Luckily I got a few good shots that night. But that was all it took. I was hooked. I took that little camera to a whole lotta shows. Snapped a whole lotta photos. After a while though, I needed more. I took a photography course in college, but mostly for access to a darkroom. I learned my way around there, but did nothing for the actual course. I didn't have a proper camera for that nor the money for one. So while I might have failed that class, I did get a lot of prints for my fanzine. And so my love of photography grew deeper. Fast forward to the present time. I no longer make a fanzine. But now I've got about 11 cameras of all shapes and sizes. I still have yet to take a proper course in photography, so everything I know, I've learned on my own. Sometimes with the help of friends, and now these days, with the help of the internet. I love the journey to knowledge that playing with my film cameras takes me on. Hard Stance
Hard Stance

No comments: