Saturday, February 21, 2009

Joe Strummer Mural

It's pretty easy for me to say that Joe Strummer was a hero of mine. I'm not alone in making such a statement. He and the music he created had a profound impact on a great many lives. Mine being one of them. Shorty after he passed, the owner of the Niagara Bar had a mural put on the side of the bar in tribute to Joe. I've made photos of this mural on more than one occasion. If I'm walking by and have a camera, there's a good chance I'll snap another shot of this fine tribute.
Strummer Mural
The first time I made a photo of the mural was not too soon after it went up. It was early one snowy morning, I was wandering around NYC after a night out, killing time until the first train back to New Jersey. I ended up in the area and made my way to 7th and A. The first light of day was trying to force it's way through the lingering clouds. I took out my trusty Canon AE-1 and made that shot.
Strummer Mural
A few year later I was wandering by one night with a polaroid camera.
Joe Strummer Mural
More recently, I was in the area shortly after flipping the lens in my Brownie Hawkeye Flash and made this shot.
The mural became a backdrop when Chris Salewicz dropped by the Niagara to do reading from his book "Redepmtion Song."
Chris Salewicz
Chris Salewicz and Bob Gruen
This last shot is of Chris with the great photographer Bob Gruen.
Here's the video of Joe's cover of the song "Redemption Song" which shows the painting of the mural.

1 comment:

El Guapo said...

I was there a couple of weeks ago. I was surprised at how well it had stood up all these years. Then I realized that it's different. The mural now shows Joe Strummer wearing the jacket instead of carrying it. I guess that shows that someone is maintaining it. That's good to know. Hopefully that mural will remain there forever.